Your eye and vision health can have a big impact on your daily life and overall wellness. You should see an eye doctor every year to ensure that your overall vision, depth perception and general eye health are in good condition. An eye doctor can also help prevent or diagnosis and treat diseases that can affect the eye. You should find a Chicago eye doctor to examine your eyes annually.
There are primarily two different kinds of eye doctors:
The main difference between the two is that an optometrist is a medical professional who focuses on vision care, whereas an ophthalmologist is a physician who focuses on complete eye care.
The vision care services that an optometrist may provide includes:
• Routine eye exams
• Prescription and fitting of eyeglasses and contact lenses
• Vision Therapy
• Pre or post-operative care
• Diagnosis and treatment of vision impairment and conditions (such as farsightedness, nearsightedness and astigmatism)
• Diagnosis of some eye conditions, such as glaucoma, cataracts and other issues
The eye care services that an ophthalmologist may provide includes:
• Vision care services
• Surgery for eye conditions, such as glaucoma, cataracts and other issues
• Medical treatment for eye conditions such as chemical burns, iritis
• Diagnosis and treatment of eye disease-related conditions such as diabetic retinopathy
• Plastic surgery (smoothing wrinkles, drooping eyelids, etc.)
Both optometrists (in some states) and ophthalmologists can write prescriptions for eye medication. Neither type of eye doctor is to be confused with an optician, who is not an eye doctor and only specializes in evaluating, fitting and repairing eye glasses and contact lenses. Find a Chicago eye doctor; either an optometrist or ophthalmologist, depending on your specific medical needs, who can provide you and your with family the care you need to ensure the health of your eyes and identify changes to your vision.